Thursday, November 25, 2010

Dogs, Frogs, and Spidermobiles

As I sit still digesting the feast from thanksgiving, I hallucinate. To begin, yesterday was a typical American thanksgiving. By this I mean I ate 3 plates full of turkey, stuffing, pie, pecan things and stuff. And enough wine to replenish Jesus. The problem started with being satiated halfway through plate 1. The rest was just to prove to the "Lameno" team that the EXSTREAM team will never falter with food, sled races, or information gathering. After this tangent I rewind to the hallucinations. I go to bed at midnight and my tent is lit up like the rebirth of Mufasa in a blaze orange zoo. I try to imagine the last 50 pages of stranger in a strange land, but I myself am a stranger in a strange land. To be stranger though may be a stretch because stranger to the veterans may be true, but to this landscape I am not. So Stranger in a local valley is more appropriate. The land here contrasts the sky and the zenith is always bright blue. In my tent as I am off in Steven land, aside from the glacier creaking and knocking at my tent door, I occasionally here dogs panting. I wake to see a shadow crawling between my tent and its fly. A Spider! Being here will quell any and all forms of arachnophobia. To see a creepy crawly eight baby blued shadow crawling over you at first excites fear, but at this moment there was nothing more than exciting excitement. Another living creature! This eight legged freak however was a freak of my imagination and subconscious projecting a desire although desire may be too strong a word. Of course there is algae, single celled diatoms, and bacteria everywhere. Something you can perceive to react to your poking it is something forlorn and strange.
For Thanksgiving we had about 15 people gather around and write a sentence down on separate pieces of paper. Passing the paper to the person next to you they draw a picture of their interpretation of the sentence then fold the sentence over so it is hidden. Passing the paper again, the next tries to decipher the picture, and write a sentence describing it. This goes on and on until both sides of the paper are full. The majority of the sentences/pictures were related to dogs. I saw a stick figure and I thought it was a person thinking about a dog. A sentence read the not so quick brown fox attempted to jump the fence, and I drew a picture of a dog biting its tail. A house was on fire, and below was written the dogs escaped from the burning house.
Back at the Kiwi base they had pictures of every winter over group since the 70's. Until the late 80's every picture included a dog handler encompassed by canines. Thats right! There were 10 people that wintered over and about 8 dogs to play frisbee with. In the movie "The Thing" However the dogs are the reason for the groups demise. This movie is false and should never be taken literally. If this were based on a true story, it would be more similar to "To build a fire". The man would try to eat the dog, but then the dog would be like "WTF Mate!" and run away and live with the wolves.
"Daugs" is the the punch line of this telling. Dogs. The internet is a hindrance on all productivity when images of dogs are displayed. It should be banned and we should learn to live without. Ignorance is bliss and if there are no dogs on this planet (At least for the next 3 months) I will sleep much better. I steal away when people start talking about their puppies, but then like a moth to light, I am struck by the shrapnel of sight.
Beauty is everywhere. This place is everything. Yet the slight lack of movement aside from clouds can sometimes remind you of dogs left behind.

And this is only week 2

2 comments:

  1. MORE PICTURES AND LESS HIGH ALTITUDE WRITING............

    ReplyDelete
  2. start collecting the dead seals.....i still need a seal coat....right now we may need about a thousand of them dead critters....love dad.... still cant believe you cant pee in the stream.....

    ReplyDelete