Thursday, November 11, 2010

NZ base, hiking, and more failed experiments

Today is the day. First for a many. Sitting alone listening to pink floyd however is not the first. I have spent many a good hour of hassle, deliberation, determination, and for lack of a better word(And better cliche) endeavor to persevere. I am just complaining now. But it was rather difficult to get all the boxes together and strapped with metal cord without blowing away in the persistent wind. I heard however that the wind may stop soon as the windy season is rather short and lasts from Early January to late December. I look forward to that. I look forward to many things. For example to day I will travel about 60 miles away to the dry valleys finally. Take off on a helicopter and float like a hummingbird while stinging...ummm something like a bee? Anyway...Here we go




Only a fraction of the clean bottles
So Here is the LTER (Long Term Ecological Research) lab where I have spent many days washing bottles. Or writing this garbage on that computer. It has been fun in here but I will soon be back to cause more damage than prevent like usual.

Another stupid failed toilet...Why do they not swirl, they just %^$&#*& evacuate immediately!  

Stupid Toilets down here...

So now on to the New Zealand Kiwi base known as Scott base. Lots of green buildings all connected and not a kiwi to be seen. Why may you ask? Because it is America night. The night when all the Mur'kans leave the safety and privacy of their own base to wander off into the unknown, chart new hills and glaciers, but most of all drink the beer that is half the price of the beer on the other side of the less green hill known as McMurdo. We start off on the shuttle rather than walk the mile up a small hill then back down. It is cold and I do not have the proper penguin wear to venture this journey. I only have stupid goose down. I hate Goose down! I asked for penguin! 
Shuttle to Scotts avec AnnaMarie

Mt Erebus avec AnnaMarie

View outside the Cheap bar! avec AnnaMarie

My new friend in a windowsill

My new friends I feel like punching in the face before the camera goes off. Me, Dustin, Steph, AnnaMarie

Smile!

Scott base with Erebus

Mt Erebus and a cloudy castle rock hiding in the mist
Scott base was fun. For about 10 minutes. And I forgot to mention where all the kiwi's went. They hide in their rooms until the Americans leave. Some were dressed rather swanky for such an odd occasion, but hey who isn't down to dress up every now and then. In fact look at who I found!
The rare and mystical Kiwi Fairy! Said only to come out at night (Antarctic night) and cures cancer with its gypsy tears

We proceeded to leave Scott base and pass out.

Woke up 4 hours later for a hike up "Ob" hill. It is a spiky studded looking rock formation jetting out of the ground as if it were the child of a volcano not yet big enough to implode upon the earth its liquid hot magma. The rocks are all volcanic and feature many pumice like air pockets that are as sharp as razors but much less likely to contact my face. Well not like a razor is going to touch this face for a while anyway. We started out at 5 am, got a bannana that made me sick and trudged forward.
AnnaMarie at the base with an icy beginning

The Royal Society range from the top

The Dry valleys off in the distance


We must go through sooooo much oil after they took out the NuKular power plant

Erebus with the windmills in the background

AnnaMarie with McMurdo

Stupid $%@*ing toilets Experiment #???
The hike was not too bad with scree most of the way. The rocks however were very sticky so it wasn't the typical 3 steps forward 18 steps back scree. your feet stick to everything. I have to now go and pack my bags as I have not had time to take care of myself or my things at all, and I leave at 1525! I'm leavin on a Helo!

No comments:

Post a Comment