Friday, October 29, 2010

The ominous, mysterious, yet ever present McMurdo Crud...

Crud is rather an ambiguous term either meaning the stuff you dig out of the garbage disposal after you emptied all your Indian food into the sink the night before, or a explatory indicating your disgust with a certain performance. In this case it means a shitty cold. Working, eating, living, and playing together in such close quarters gives rise to a persistent bug known as "The Crud". Sadly I have been debilitated by this single celled microbe that's only intention is to piss me off. After talking to many people who have had it or have it currently, it starts off slow with a scratching of the throat, then progresses to a nasty nasal blockage incongruous to the goal that we scored on England, oh butter fingered limeys! Anyway the stage I am at now is that of constant throbbing head ache, coughing up everything but my inner organs, and complete laziness...The laziness I am blaming on the cold. I am sleeping about 12 hours a day here.
We all got the flu shot (Against my will) in New Zealand, but this bugger is  flown in from all over the world to a congregation of human hosts lacking in vitamin C. Although since I have been here I have had 1 packet of EmergenC and multi vitamins, and orange juice daily! One of those packets has 1500% of your daily vitamin C for god sakes!

In the mean time I have been coming to work kinda. I have to wash and prep about 1600 bottles. This entails making an acid bath, rinsing them out like 5 times with DI water, letting them sit for an hour, baking some in an oven. and then sitting at this computer waiting looking out over the sea ice at the TransAntarctic Mountains!
Anyway about 4 C-130's came in yesterday with a load of cargo(SALAD and Fresh food!) and about 100 people. Bringing the population here to about 1100. Gotta get out before it gets too crazy. met some people from Delaware that moved in across the hall...What the hell is in Delaware? Well I gotta get back to cleaning some bottles. Oh ya before I forget there is a huge party in the gym tonight for halloween. There is no way they are fitting that many people in that building especially with costumes. I am gonna be a christmas tree...Boring. Here is a picture from icestock, which is actually new years but I was too lazy to look for a picture of halloween. Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I think you got the flu from the flu shot, which is why i never get one.... send halloween pics... why not be abominable snowman!! and why do you have to clean bottles??

    ReplyDelete